Friday, May 9, 2014

Cleaning acrylic paint out of your brushes

I have a simple way of cleaning messy brushes.   When I am painting murals I over abuse my brushes because I am worried about finishing the mural.    I discovered that hand sanitizer will actually help dissolve paint trapped in the brush.  I put a layer of hand sanitizer on each side of the brush and let that sit 5 or 10 minutes.  After it has sat rinse with water and then either put more hand sanitizer on the brush or wash the brush with a mild soap.  Then shape with the soap and let dry.

If you have a brush that is clean and will not go back to the same shape you can quickly dip the brush in hot water.   I have only done this with synthetic brushes - please use caution and dip them quickly.  This works really well with lining brushes to reshape them to a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment